1 HOUR | INTERMEDIATE | AGES 8+
Art House Book: Here is a fun project that only requires one piece of cardstock paper, and any basic art materials you have laying around the house like markers, stickers, scrap-papers, foam shapes, etc. While everyone is cooped up in our homes, this project could occupy the kids for a bit with very little, if any, assistance. The decoration of the Art House Book is fun because there are no rules! By unfolding the paper, each artist is given a secret area to record thoughts, sayings, quotes and ideas of influence during this strange, unprecedented time. Writing/journaling can be very therapeutic for children (and adults), and offer a means of self-comfort. Follow along with the steps below to make your very own Art House Book and tag #arthouselab to share your books with us. We love to see what you create!
Through a series of folds, you will create a small house that will be able to stand on its’ own. You will be able to design and decorate the house to your liking. Remember to use the private journal space on the inside, since that space will be empty.
Don’t forget to tag us @arthouselab on Instagram if you decide to make one of your own. We’d love to see your creation!
Follow These Steps:
1. Begin with a rectangle piece of card stock paper or something a little thicker than copy paper. An 8.5 x 11″ sheet was used in this example. Fold the paper in half the short, or horizontal way, and be careful to line the corners and edges up before making the crease. Open the paper and then fold it the long tall way, and make a crease using a bone-folder or a pair of scissors to form as crisp fold.
2. Unfold the paper and lay flat. Next, take the bottom of the sheet and fold up to the crease in the middle, and press to fold. Repeat this step on the other end. Now you have to folds inward that are facing each other with an opening in the middle. Be sure to flatten all creases with a bone folder or scissors.
3. Open the paper flat again, and refold it in half the short / horizontal way. Make sure the opening is turned down toward the bottom. And make one shirt-fold on the upper left corner by folding down the corner to align with the first crease-fold.
4. Flatten and smooth fold with your bone-folder. Repeat this step on the use right corner as well.
5. Stand the folded paper up with the opening at the bottom and reverse the shirt-folded corners to be folded inside the house, by tucking them in toward the center fold.
6. Next, open slightly, and reposition the folds keeping in mind that you want each end to resemble the front of a house.
7. Then begin decorating…